Blood Glucose Test
The Blood Glucose Level Test from SELFCheck tests blood sugar levels. It can help you determine whether you are at risk of diabetes.
When you buy the Blood Glucose Level Test online from our UK pharmacy, you’ll receive it in one working day by express delivery. Our doctors are able to offer advice if you get a result which indicates that you have high blood sugar.
The SELFCheck Blood Glucose Level Test can be used to check blood sugar levels. In doing so, it can help someone to know whether they are at increased risk of type 2 diabetes. The kit contains a lancet device which draws a drop of blood through a ‘pin prick’ on the end of the middle finger. Each pack has enough materials to allow the user to perform two tests; a second test can be taken a few days or weeks after the first to confirm a result.
Type 2 diabetes is a long-term condition that affects how well the body turns sugar into energy. People with type 2 diabetes have higher levels of glucose in the blood. Without treatment, this can lead to significant health problems. For example, over time, high blood sugar levels can damage blood vessels and increase someone’s risk of cardiovascular conditions, like heart disease and stroke. It can also cause lasting nerve damage, kidney problems, and issues with eyesight.
Sugar is required by the body in order to function normally. When we consume food, sugar from it is taken up by the gut and sent into the bloodstream by the liver, where it becomes glucose. The pancreas produces a hormone called insulin which helps to convert glucose into energy. However, the pancreas can only create so much insulin at once. If there is too much glucose in the blood, the pancreas may not be able to produce enough insulin to keep up.
Unlike type 1 diabetes, which many people tend to develop earlier on in life and is caused by the immune system attacking the pancreas, type 2 diabetes is more often an ‘acquired’ condition. Some people may be more at risk due to their ethnic background (persons of Caribbean or Asian descent are more susceptible), having close family members with the condition, or being over 40. But several other factors, such as being obese, not getting enough exercise, and eating a poor diet, can contribute towards the condition too.
There are several measures someone can take to reduce their risk of diabetes, such as limiting the glycemic load in their diet. For example, white bread, white rice and white pasta are foods with a high glycemic index, so replacing these with more fibrous alternatives (brown bread, brown rice and so on) can have a positive impact. Making sure you get enough exercise is important too. Two and a half hours per week of moderate aerobic activity is the recommended amount for adults.
Type 2 diabetes doesn’t always cause symptoms. When it does, these can include dry eyes and going to the toilet to urinate more often than usual. However, these symptoms can be quite easy to miss. So it’s very common for people to have the condition and not know until they experience complications. Testing your blood glucose level is one way to check whether you may have diabetes or are at risk of developing diabetes.
You can buy your blood glucose test online from us by completing our short order form. Our UK pharmacy ships all tests by special next-day delivery, in discreet unmarked packaging. If you are looking to order treatment for diabetes from us online, you can use the result from this test kit during consultation with our doctor.
The test kit pack will contain:
- a set of instructions
- two small plasters
- a colour chart
- two lancets
- and two test strips individually wrapped.
This is sufficient to perform two tests.
If your test kit does not contain all of the above when you receive it, please let us know.
Read the instructions very carefully before conducting this test. If you are not sure of anything, please contact us, and one of our clinical will team will provide further advice.
Each pack contains instruments to perform two tests. You can perform the second test a few days after the first to confirm a result.
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 12 hours before doing the test. You may find it beneficial to do your test first thing in the morning.
- Check the lancets to make sure the trigger has not already been pressed in.
- Remove the test strip from the foil pouch and place on a flat surface.
- Make sure you have a clean tissue and a clock or watch with a second hand ready.
- Wash your hands in warm water and dry thoroughly.
- Remove the protective cap on the lancet you are using by turning it slightly, taking care not to push down the trigger.
- Press the end of the lancet against the tip of your middle finger.
- Push down the lever.
- You may feel a nip as the lancet punctures the skin.
- Hold your arm with your hand downwards so that blood flows to your finger, and a droplet forms.
- You may need to gently massage your finger in order to get a droplet to form.
- Allow a drop of blood to fall onto both test fields on the strip, completely covering them.
- Wait for exactly 30 seconds, then wipe away any excess blood with a tissue. You must not touch the test strip with your fingers.
- It is important to wipe off the blood after exactly 30 seconds, as doing this too soon or too late could affect your test result.
- After another 30 seconds, your result will be displayed on the test strip.
- In the meantime, cover your punctured finger with one of the plasters provided.
- The test strip should have changed colour to give you your result. You can now compare this with the colour chart.
- The reading is given in mmol/L and mg/dL.
- Normal ranges for adults are between 4 mmol/L and 6 mmol/L, or 72 mg/dL and 108 mg/dL.
- Below or above this threshold is considered outside normal range.
- If your results are the same after performing a second test, you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
- If the colours have not changed to green/brown or blue as on the chart, then your test may have been invalidated. This might be caused by an error when performing the test, or the test strip becoming damaged.
- If you do not view your test for 10 minutes or more after performing it, the reading may not still appear as reliably.
- If you require a blood glucose test result to order treatment online from us, we recommend that you have a phone or camera ready when doing the test, so that you can take a picture of your result while it can be reliably interpreted.
How does it work?
The kit contains a lancet. This is used to produce a drop of blood from the fingertip, which is then dripped onto the test strip. The strip then reacts with the blood sample to give a reading.
This blood glucose test gives two readings: mg/dL (milligrams per decilitre) and mmol/L (millimole per litre). Normal range is between 4 and 6 mmol/L, and between 72 and 108 mg/dL.
Does it need to go to the lab?
No. The test can be done at home and you’ll get your result almost straight away.
How long does it take?
The test in total takes a couple of minutes to perform. You’ll get your result in 30 seconds after applying and wiping off your sample on the test strip.
What kind of sample do I have to give for this test?
A blood sample from the middle fingertip. This is easy to do with the lancet devices provided.
What happens if I’m within normal range?
You can take the test again (there are instruments in the kit to perform two tests) a few days or weeks after the first, to confirm your result.
If this is in normal range, you probably won’t need to do anything differently. If you haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes, continue to live a healthy and balanced lifestyle. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, continue your treatment plan as directed by your doctor or specialist diabetes nurse.
What happens if I’m outside normal range?
Again, you should repeat the test after a few days or weeks, to confirm your reading. If your result is outside normal range again, you should speak to your doctor. They may need to give you advice on managing your diet and lifestyle, or refer you to a specialist for further tests or treatment.
How accurate is the blood glucose test?
In a study of 110 people, the test demonstrated a 100% accuracy rate in samples containing less than 4.2mmol/L glucose, and a 96% accuracy rate in samples containing 4.2mmol/L glucose or more. This was compared to the YSI 2300 method.
Who should get tested?
The risk of type 2 diabetes increases as you get older, so it’s a good idea to get tested every year or two if you are over 40, and particularly if you have a close relative with the condition. If you’ve noticed any symptoms, such as going to the toilet more often, or dry eyes, you should ideally get tested. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you’ll normally need to have tests every three months to check that your treatment plan is working as it should.
How to buy your blood glucose test online
Ordering your blood glucose test online is simple with our pharmacy service. Each test kit is sent by next-day parcel, and our team are on hand to offer advice if required. Click ‘buy now’ to be taken to our order form.
Consultation. Prescription. Delivery. Satisfaction.
- GMC Doctors
- Genuine Medication
- 24hr Delivery
- Secure Payment & Data
- Registered Pharmacy
- Easy Repeat Orders
We promise to keep your details secure and private. We will never sell your information or share it with third parties. Whatever treatment you buy online from us, we will send in plain, unmarked packaging via our secure courier service.
Delivery on all items is included in the price. After your order has been dispatched, you’ll be supplied with a tracking number, allowing you to follow the progress of your items every step of the way. We deliver to anywhere in the UK, so whether you’re in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow or Cardiff, your order will be at your door within just 24 hours of approval from our doctor.
Search for your medicineFind the treatment you need.
Fill in a simple questionnaireA GMC-registered doctor will review your answers.
24h delivery to your doorNext-day delivery. Every order is sent by tracked courier.
Repeat ordering is easyWe keep your details secure so you can reorder with ease.