Diabetes Test Kit
The at-home diabetes test kit (for HbA1c) is used to provide an average blood glucose (or blood sugar) reading for the previous two to three months. It is a lab test used as an indicator for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.
You can purchase a HbA1c testing kit from our secure online pharmacy. All tests are shipped in secure packaging by special courier, and in most cases you’ll receive your kit in one working day.
The HbA1c testing kit, or diabetes test kit, uses a blood sample to determine blood sugar levels. This type of test looks for glycated haemoglobin. If present, it can indicate whether you have too much sugar in your blood. After you have collected your sample at home and sent it back to our partner laboratory, they will typically be able to analyse it and produce a result within a few hours.
Type 2 diabetes: key information
Type 2 diabetes is a serious health condition where your body is not able to process blood sugar as it should. This can lead to symptoms such as tiredness, extreme thirst, a need to pass urine more frequently or blurred vision.
It is possible to have type 2 diabetes and not develop symptoms for a long period of time.
Undiagnosed diabetes can lead to further health complications affecting your heart, eyes, kidneys and feet.
Type 2 diabetes can be successfully managed with lifestyle changes and medication. Metformin is the medication that is usually first prescribed to type 2 diabetes patients.
Why should I have a HbA1c test?
If you are concerned about type 2 diabetes symptoms, you should see your GP.
If diabetes is not addressed, it can lead to a number of serious health conditions. Taking this test can let you know whether you need to take action to address high blood sugar levels.
What do the results of a HbA1c test show?
A HbA1c test can indicate whether there is too much sugar in your blood. A high reading can mean that you are at risking of developing type 2 diabetes.
HbA1c is measured by the scientific unit known as moles.
- A normal or ‘healthy’ HbA1c result will be under 42mmol/mol.
- People classed as at risk of developing type 2 diabetes might have a HbA1c result of between 42 to 47 mmol/mol.
- People who have diabetes tend to have a target of 48mmol/mol.
How accurate is the HbA1c test?
TDL use the same testing techniques as used by NHS laboratories. Therefore if you carefully follow the instructions provided with the test kit, you should receive an accurate reading.
The at-home test kit has been developed to be user friendly and comes with easy to follow instructions.
Ordering your diabetes test online
We work with a trusted pathology lab to provide a seamless and secure service for patients looking to carry out certain tests at home.
If you’re looking to buy a diabetes test kit online, the HbA1c test can provide an accurate indication of your average blood sugar levels, and inform you of whether you need to make adjustments to your lifestyle. All test kits are shipped by next-day courier, so most items are received within one working day of the order being placed.
The HbA1c test kit contains:
- a set of instructions
- a request form
- a name label
- a prepaid envelope
- a moist wipe
- a security label
- two plasters
- a blood collection tube
- one protective packing wallet
- an alcotip swab (with a spare)
- and one lancet (with two spares).
If you receive your test kit and any of the above are missing, please contact our customer care team.
Please read the instructions that are provided with your test kit.
- Complete the label and the request form.
- Wash your hands in warm water using soap and dry your hands thoroughly.
- It is usually best to take the sample from the side of the little finger.
- Position the blood collection tube in the protective packing wallet and remove the lid.
- Using the enclosed alcotip swab, clean the finger you are going to take the sample from. Make sure the finger is dry.
- Remove one of the lancets.
- Twist the end and remove the blue stick.
- Whilst standing, position the lancet against the side of your little finger and press firmly against the skin.
- This action should puncture the skin causing a blood drop to form.
- Using a clean tissue, wipe away this first droplet.
- Point your hand downwards and massage your finger to encourage the flow of blood into the collection tube.
- Keep your hand in this position until you have filled the tube to the upper line.
- If you struggle to collect a sufficient sample you can use one of the spare lancets on your other little finger.
- Once the tube is full put one of the plasters on your finger to stem the bleeding.
- Put the lid onto the collection tube so that you hear a click. This indicates that it is securely shut.
- Now that the tube is secure, invert it between 5 and 10 times.
- Stick your label onto the tube as shown in the diagram.
- Place the tube into the protective wallet.
- The wallet and any used lancets should be placed inside the test kit box and sealed with the security sticker.
- Place the test kit and request from into the envelope and seal.
- Your sample is now ready to send to TDL by post.
Upon receipt of your sample, the lab is usually able to return a result in around four hours.
The result will be sent to our system where you can login to your secure patient area to view when it is ready.
If you have any questions about the sample collection process, you can contact The Doctor’s Laboratory by telephone on 020 7307 7373 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our customer service team is also available by telephone on 0207 043 0716, through the messaging facility in your patient area, or via email at email@example.com.
How does it work?
Once you receive your test kit, all you you need to do is follow the provided instructions to take a small blood sample. Your sample should be sent in the prepaid envelope to our partner lab. We will update you once your result is ready to be viewed in your patient area.
Who is your partner lab?
Our service has teamed up with TDL Pathology, a UK-based testing laboratory.
How will I be notified?
You will receive a text message or email to let you know when your result is ready. Your result will be waiting to be viewed in your secure patient area.
Depending on your results, our doctors will be able to provide guidance on what you need to do next.
How long does it take?
When our partner lab receives your sample, the test tends to take a few hours. This means that the whole process from ordering the test kit to receiving a result can take approximately less than one week.
What kind of sample do I have to give for the test?
A HbA1c test requires a sample of blood taken via a small lancet device.
Will it hurt?
The lancet should not hurt you but you may feel a small scratch. The device should only very slightly puncture the finger.
What happens if my levels are sufficient?
Your results will be available in the secure patient area.
If you are still concerned about any symptoms, you should contact your own doctor.
What happens if my levels are high?
Our doctor will inform you via your secure patient area, and may provide some guidance on lifestyle changes or treatment.
Getting the diabetes test kit online
If you wish to buy an average blood glucose test kit from our online pharmacy, please complete the order form on the next page. Once your order is approved you can expect to receive it within 24 hours.