Before you use Caverject for the first time, a doctor or nurse will always need to go through the injection procedure with you, and give a demonstrate on how to do it.
However, for those who want to know more about Caverject and how it is administered, we’ll give an insight into tusing it on this page.
- How is Caverject taken?
- After I have taken it, when can I have sex?
- How often can I use Caverject?
- Which Caverject dosage is best for me?
- How do I store Caverject?
- What should I do if I’m unsure about anything?
There are two forms of Caverject. Caverject Dual Chamber comes the powder and solution preloaded into one device, ready to be mixed; whereas Caverject Vials (powder for injection) is supplied as a separate powder and liquid, which needs to be mixed manually prior to use.
For Caverject Dual Chamber:
- Take the needle out of the foil wrapper.
- Affix it to the injector device by pushing it on the end, and turning clockwise. You should feel it tighten.
- Take off the first outer protective cap.
- Holding the device vertically, with the needle end pointing up and the plunger at the bottom, rotate the plunger clockwise until you feel it stop.
- The powder and diluting liquid will now be combined in one chamber. To ensure it is sufficiently mixed, give the device a gentle shake, and continue doing so until the powder has fully dissolved.
- You should not use the injection if the solution is still cloudy or particles are present.
- Take off the inner cap from the needle. Do not use it if the needle is warped or bent.
- Remove any bubbles present by flicking the device.
- Turn the plunger clockwise again to ensure it is fully rotated and won’t go any further, then push the plunger in until you feel it stop. This will produce a few drips from the top of the needle.
- You’ll then need to rotate the plunger again to choose the right dose. This will have been confirmed with you by your doctor beforehand. The dose selected will appear in the window.
- You can get the injection ready for use up to 24 hours administration.
For Caverject Vials or Powder Solution for Injection
- There are two needles in the pack: a 22 gauge needle which is the larger of the two, and a 30 gauge needle (smaller). The larger one is used when mixing the powder with the solution, whereas the smaller one is used to inject the prepared medicine into the penis.
- Do not use the needle if it is bent or warped.
- Remove the cap from the vial, and use a wet antiseptic wipe (provided) to clean the rubber stopper on top.
- Carefully rotate the white cap on the syringe. Remove the foil from the 22 gauge needle (it should have a grey end) with the cover still on, affix to the syringe and turn clockwise to tighten.
- Gently remove the needle cover by pushing off with your thumb and index finger.
- Insert the needle into the rubber top on the vial. Push in the plunger to expel the solution and mix with the powder.
- Not removing the needle, carefully swirl the vial to mix them together, continuing until all the powder has dissolved.
- Once again, if the solution is still cloudy or contains bits of powder after you have mixed it together, you should not use it.
- Invert the vial, so that the vial is on top with the needle underneath it.
- Ensure the end of the needle is below the surface of the liquid. Pull out the plunger to import the mixed solution into the syringe.
- Remove the needle from the vial.
- Take the larger needle off the syringe by twisting it anticlockwise, and put the needle to one side to carefully dispose of later.
- Take the packaging off the smaller needle (it should have a yellow end), but keep the cover on. Fix it to the syringe by screwing it on clockwise.
- Carefully remove the cover.
- Flick or tap the syringe to expel any bubbles, then push the plunger until at least one drop appears from the end of the needle.
- The syringe is marked with doses. Push the plunger until it reaches the dose your doctor has told you to use.
Administering the injection
- Get an alcohol cleansing wipe (provided) ready.
- Make sure the needle is not broken or bent (if it is, don’t use it).
- Hold the penis, placing two fingers underneath close to the testicles, and your thumb on top. Very gently apply pressure so that the site you are about to inject into bulges.
- Roll back the foreskin where present.
- The injection should be given into the flesh on either side of the shaft (consult the diagram given in the leaflet). Wipe the site with the alcohol cleansing wipe, and let it dry.
- Maintaining a strong grip on the penis, insert the needle into the penis, through the skin but avoiding any veins, at the angle advised (again, consult the diagram in the leaflet).
- Push the plunger to administer the medicine. If the plunger does not go in easily, do not force it. Pull the needle slightly out, and try again.
- Remove the needle from the penis, and then massage the penis to help circulate the drug around it.
- Dispose of the needle safety.
Always the consult the leaflet, and follow the instructions given by your prescriber before use.
Caverject should produce an erection fairly quickly. The correct dose is one which helps you to get an erection firm enough for satisfactory sexual intercourse.
The erection you get from Caverject shouldn’t last longer than one hour. If you develop an erection which last for four hours or longer, you should seek medical attention right away.
Not more than:
- once in any 24 hour period
- or three times in any one week.
If you feel as though the dose you are using is not strong enough, speak to your doctor.
Your doctor will advise you on which dose to use. The typical starting dose is 1.25 to 2.5mcg. This will then be increased gradually under the advice of your doctor, until the optimum dose has been reached.
In the fridge.
You can remove it from the fridge to reach temperature up to one day (24 hours) prior to use, to allow it to reach room temperature; however it must not exceed temperatures of 25°C.
If there is anything regarding this medicine you are unsure of, do not use it and speak to your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
If you have been shown how to use Caverject, but would like to watch a reminder video, you can find one at the manufacturer website.
You can also find more information about this treatment on our Caverject FAQ page.