Vitaros is a cream treatment for erectile dysfunction, and is therefore used in a manner very different to tablets.
Here, we’ve produced a guide on using Vitaros. Please note however, that this guide is only intended to give you a general idea of what using Vitaros involves.
When you buy Vitaros cream, you should make sure you read the instructions provided in the patient information leaflet fully prior to use, and ensure you only ever use it as directed by your prescriber.
On this page, we'll cover:
- how to apply Vitaros cream
- what to remember when using Vitaros
- how to store Vitaros
- and what you should do if you are unsure of anything when using Vitaros
- The leaflet advises that you urinate before use.
- Wash your hands prior to using Vitaros.
- Take the AccuDose plunger out of the sachet. Keep the sachet so that you can dispose of the single dose applicator safely after use.
- If you have taken it out of the fridge, you can warm the cream up by rolling the applicator between your hands. You will not need to do this if the applicator was taken out of the fridge and left to reach room temperature earlier on.
- Twist the plunger. This will help you to ensure that the medicine will be dispensed smoothly.
- Take the cap off the device.
- Hold your penis with one hand and very lightly squeeze it to open the tip. Those who are not circumcised should retract their foreskin beforehand.
- Hold the device in your other hand and position the tip directly above the opening to the urethra, but do not insert it.
- Slowly push the plunger down so that all the cream is expelled from the device. If there is any excess cream that does not fit into the urethra you can rub it into the end of your penis with a clean finger.
- Keep the penis upright for 30 seconds so that the cream can be absorbed.
- Replace the cap onto the device and put it back into the foil sachet ready for disposal.
- Always wash your hands after handling Vitaros.
The Vitaros application device is known as an AccuDose. The correct amount of medication is preloaded into the pump chamber so that it is ready for use.
Each device should therefore only be used once, and you should only ever use one at a time.
If you urinate after applying the treatment, some may be expelled from the body with urine. This is why it is better to go to the toilet before applying Vitaros.
The treatment is not an ‘aphrodisiac’, and you will require sexual stimulation to get an erection.
The cream can take between 5-30 minutes to have an effect. The duration it lasts for will depend on individual response, but in most cases it will last for around one to two hours.
Your penis may feel warm, full and sensitive for some time after use. The leaflet advises that these sensations are normal, and may be experienced for several hours following use.
Your erection may persist for a short time after climax. However, if your erection does not go away after four hours you should seek medical attention.
Vitaros is available in two strengths; therefore if your initial dose does not produce a sufficient erection suitable for intercourse, your doctor may suggest a dosage change.
You should only use Vitaros once within any 24 hour period. You should not exceed three doses in a week.
Vitaros cream does not offer any protection against sexually transmitted infections. Contraceptive measures, such as latex condoms, should be used to reduce the risk of STIs.
Vitaros medication should be stored in a refrigerator between 2°C to 8°C. The medication should not be frozen.
Sachets can be removed from the refrigerator for up to three days, provided the temperature does not exceed 25°C. If the product is not used within these three days it should be thrown away.
If there is anything about this treatment you are not sure about, speak to your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
If you notice anything unusual when using this medicine or experience any side effects that cause you to become concerned, inform your doctor as soon as possible.
Our service enables you to buy Vitaros online. If you have any questions about this medication, you can direct them to our doctor or pharmacist via our secure patient area.