Home Cholesterol Test
The SELFCheck Cholesterol Test Kit is for at-home screening, you use a blood sample to tell you whether or not your cholesterol is within normal range. It provides a result in 3 minutes.
To buy your cholesterol test kit online, click below to place your order, and complete our short form. Your kit will be sent to you directly from our pharmacy by next-day parcel.
The SELFCheck Cholesterol Test kit is a blood test that indicates whether or not your overall cholesterol may be high. It can be performed at home, and produces a result in three minutes. High cholesterol can lead to more serious health problems over time, and often doesn’t cause outwardly noticeable symptoms. This test can help you to know whether or not you have high cholesterol and need to see a doctor.
How does the cholesterol home test kit work?
The simple home test kit allows you to check your overall cholesterol level in the comfort of your home. The result will indicate whether your cholesterol is within a healthy range.
All you have to do is take a small sample of blood from your fingertip and introduce it to the test card in order to take a reading. This home test kit does not need to go to the lab and therefore you can have your result within minutes.
Who can use the cholesterol home test kit?
The home test kit is suitable for anyone who is interested to know more about their cholesterol level.
Why is cholesterol important?
The connotations of the term ‘cholesterol’ are often negative, as we only ever really hear it in reference to high cholesterol. However, the body uses cholesterol to form cell walls, and it plays an important part in regular functions such as hormone production. Cholesterol is taken up through food and generated by the liver, and is moved around the body through the bloodstream by two different types of carrier: high density lipoproteins, or HDL; and low density lipoproteins, or LDL. LDL takes cholesterol to the places in the body it needs to be; whereas HDL retrieves cholesterol not required and carries it back to the liver.
What does a high cholesterol level mean?
High cholesterol is when someone has a raised amount of LDL in their blood, and not enough HDL. This is why HDL is often referred to as ‘good’ or ‘healthy’ cholesterol, and LDL as ‘bad’ cholesterol. Raised LDL means that this cholesterol can collect in the arteries, because it isn’t being carried back to the liver by HDL. As cholesterol builds up, this can develop into plaques in the arteries. The more these plaques form, the harder the arteries become (a process known as arteriosclerosis). Over time, this increases the risk of heart disease and stroke.
What causes high cholesterol?
Consuming foods which are high in saturated fat, such as pies and pastries, cakes, biscuits and butter, contributes towards high cholesterol. We need fat in our diet to function properly, but it’s generally better to have more unsaturated fats in your diet (found in avocados, nuts, seeds, and fish) than saturated fats, to keep cholesterol levels under control. A diet containing a sufficient amount of fibre can also help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels, as can not smoking (smoking stops HDL from working properly) and getting enough exercise.
Why should I use a home cholesterol test?
High cholesterol doesn’t cause symptoms, so the only way to tell if you have it is to have a blood test. An adult with a total cholesterol level over 5mmol/L or 200mg/dL is considered to have high cholesterol, and will be advised to follow a healthy diet and exercise by a doctor. They may also be prescribed a type of medicine called a statin to help them keep their cholesterol down. For people at high risk of heart disease, the high cholesterol threshold is slightly lower, at 4mmol/L.
The SELFCheck cholesterol home test kit allows you to take control of your health. All it requires is a small blood sample to be administered to the test card for you to take your reading at home at a time that suits you.
How can I buy a cholesterol test kit?
The SELFCheck home cholesterol test is a simple-to-use home screening kit, which takes a blood sample from the end of the finger. This is then transferred to a test strip, which turns a different colour in three minutes to indicate someone’s total cholesterol levels (HDL and LDL). To buy your cholesterol level test online from our UK pharmacy, click on the order button below. You’ll be asked to complete a short order form, and then your kit will be shipped to you by secure next-day parcel.
In this test kit pack, you will find:
- one lancet
- one test card, individually wrapped
- one plaster
- and a set of instructions.
If you order your test and find any of the above are missing, please contact us.
Follow the instructions provided carefully when performing this test. If there is anything you are not certain about, please ask our doctor or pharmacist for further information through your patient area, or by sending us an email.
- It’s recommended not to eat or drink anything apart from water for 12 hours before doing the test. Taking the test in the morning may be beneficial.
- Get a clean tissue and a clock or watch with a second hand ready.
- Remove the test card from the foil pack, taking care to tear gently from the notch, so as not to damage the card inside.
- Place the test card on a flat surface.
- Wash your hands in soap and warm water.
- Dry your hands thoroughly.
- The recommended place to draw a sample from is the tip of your middle or ring finger.
- You can use an alcohol swab if you wish, but you must ensure your finger is dry first before collecting a sample.
- Remove the protective cap from the lancet by twisting it.
- Place the end of the lancet firmly against the tip of your middle or ring finger as shown on the leaflet.
- Press down the lever to activate the lancet. You should feel a small pinch.
- Allow your whole arm to hang downwards. It may be necessary for you to massage your finger to get blood flowing and encourage a droplet to form.
- Hold your finger over the test area on the card. Let a large droplet fall on the test area. Be careful not to touch the test area with your finger.
- You should make sure that the blood droplet is big enough. If it isn’t, the test may not work properly.
- Give the test exactly three minutes to work. You should time this with your watch or clock. If you wait too long to view your result, the reading may be falsely high; if you do not wait long enough, your reading may be falsely low.
- During this time, use the plaster to cover the puncture on your finger.
- After three minutes, carefully peel off the cover from the card, following the arrow in the black bar.
- Once the cover is separated, the results window will be visible. You will then be able to compare this with the colour chart contained in the cassette sleeve.
- You should compare your reading to the chart within 30 seconds of tearing off the cover. If you leave this too long, your reading will become harder to interpret.
- Move the card between the different colours until you find the one that matches most closely with your reading.
- To see your reading, turn the card over. You will see your estimated cholesterol reading next to the corresponding colour.
- If the indicator does not turn green or blue, this is considered an invalid result. This may be due to the test card being damaged, or an error being made when carrying out the test.
- Normal overall cholesterol levels for adults are up to 200mg/dL, or 5.2mmol/L.
- You may have high cholesterol if your reading is above this, or if you have difficulty distinguishing your reading between the 200mg/dL bracket and the 225mg/dL bracket.
- If your reading indicates that you have high cholesterol, you should contact your GP for advice. They may wish to perform further tests or discuss possible treatment.
More detailed instructions and diagrams can be found in the leaflet supplied with the kit.
How does the home cholesterol test work?
The sample well in the test cassette contains enzymes which react with a blood sample and activate a dye, based on overall cholesterol levels. This produces a colour which can be compared with a chart, included with the test.
Does it need to go to the lab?
No. The home cholesterol test produces a result shortly after the sample has been provided, on the test cassette.
How long does it take?
It takes 3 minutes for the result to appear. In total, it shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes to collect your sample and wait for the result.
What kind of sample do I have to give for this test?
A droplet blood sample from the end of the middle or ring finger.
What happens if my cholesterol levels are within range?
You don’t have to do anything, other than continue to follow a healthy diet and exercise plan.
What happens if my cholesterol levels are high?
You should speak to your doctor. They might use this as a basis to conduct further tests. It’s likely they’ll provide advice on diet and exercise, and in some cases you might be prescribed treatment to help get your cholesterol down.
How accurate is the cholesterol test?
Compared to a clinical lab method and Reflotron testing system, this test was found to be 94% accurate in 145 blood samples.
Is high cholesterol curable?
You can lower cholesterol levels through diet and exercise. Your doctor will be able to help with this. In some cases, prescription medicines such as statins can help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
Who should get tested?
It’s generally advisable for people over the age of 40 to get checked every couple of years, as the risk of high cholesterol increases as you get older. People who are already on treatment for high cholesterol will also need to have their levels checked regularly, to make sure their treatment plan is working.
How to buy your cholesterol level test online
Our secure online service enables you to buy your Cholesterol Level Test from a trusted UK pharmacy. Complete our order form, and your kit will be sent to you by next-day delivery using tracked courier.
Search for your medicineFind the treatment you need.
Fill in a simple questionnaireA GMC-registered doctor or a pharmacy prescriber will review your answers.
24h delivery to your doorNext-day delivery. Every order is sent by tracked courier.
Repeat ordering is easyWe keep your details secure so you can reorder with ease.