Female Hormone Profile
This female fertility test kit looks at specific reproductive hormone markers in order to assess either ovarian reserve or ovulation health.
Complete a short order form and the easy-to-use test kit will be delivered to your home. All tests are sent in secure and discreet packaging and should arrive within one working day.
The female fertility test kits look at different reproductive hormones in order to see if they are within the expected range.
Our simple instructions help guide you through obtaining the small sample of blood and sending it off to our partner lab.
Why would I want to check my fertility?
You may wish to take a fertility test if you are thinking about starting a family in the future or you want to get an insight into your reproductive health.
This simple female fertility test checks four different reproductive hormonal markers which can indicate reproductive health. This can be used as a basic starting point to check your reproductive hormone status.
The ovarian reserve test can give you an indication of whether your results are within normal limits for your age.
If you have concerns about your fertility, or you have been trying to have a baby for over a year, you should see your GP.
What do the tests look for?
The tests look at different hormones that form part of the female reproductive cycle.
Female fertility test
This test looks at four different hormones. The blood sample should be collected on the third day of the menstrual cycle which should be the third day of blood flow from a period.
The results of these hormone levels can give an indication of whether or not there may be a hormonal reason for potential problems with ovulation or conception.
LH - luteinizing hormone. An increase in LH starts the ovulation process. LH levels under the usual range may be linked to a lack of ovulation.
FSH - follicle stimulating hormone. This hormone stimulates the growth of an ovarian follicle that releases an egg during ovulation. FSH levels out of the expected range can indicate that ovulation is not occurring.
Prolactin. This hormone gets its name from the role it plays in the production of breast milk following childbirth. However, it is also linked to many other functions. Abnormal levels of prolactin can disturb the menstrual cycle.
Oestradiol. This hormone plays an important role in the female reproductive cycle and is used during different phases of the cycle.
Ovarian reserve test
This test looks at AMH (anti-mullerian hormone). This protein hormone is produced by the cells in the ovaries and can indicate whether your ovarian reserve is within the normal limits for your age. Average AMH levels tend to decline with age. This test will not give a precise number of eggs and does not indicate your chances of becoming pregnant.
This test can be taken at any point in your cycle.
How can I order a fertility test online?
If you’re ready to order your fertility test you can do so by selecting it above. You will need to complete a short questionnaire and order form. Then your test will be sent out to you by next-day courier.
This fertility test kit contains:
- a set of instructions
- a request form
- a name label
- a prepaid envelope
- a moist wipe
- a security label
- two plasters
- a blood collection tube
- one protective packing wallet
- an alcotip swab (with a spare)
- and one lancet (with two spares).
If your home collection test kit is missing an item, please speak to our customer care team.
It is important to follow the blood collection instructions closely. This will help you get a sufficient sample for testing.
- Fill out your details on the request form and name label. You should only fix the label to the collection tube once you have taken your sample.
- Remove the cap on the blood collection tube, and put the tube into its upright position, as indicated in the protective wallet.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with warm water and soap. It will be easier to collect the blood sample if your hands are warm.
- Clean the side of your chosen finger using a single alcotip swab.
- Select a lancet and remove the cap.
- Whilst standing up, place the lancet against the clean finger and press firmly.
- You may feel a pinch and a small blood droplet should form.
- Use a clean tissue to wipe away the initial droplet.
- Position your finger above the collection tube and massage it to start the blood flow.
- Make sure you fill the collection tube to the upper line.
- If you struggle to fill the collection tube, wipe the puncture site with a clean tissue and wait ten seconds to try again. If required, you can use another lancet or another finger.
- Once you have collected enough blood, stop any bleeding with the provided spot plaster.
- Put the lid on the pot - you should hear a click sound to indicate the pot is secure.
- Once the cap is on, invert the tube between 5-10 times.
- Secure your completed name label to the tube.
- Put the tube in the protective packing wallet.
- Put any used lancets and the protective wallet containing your blood sample into the self-addressed, prepaid envelope.
- Before you seal the envelope, take a moment to go over the checklist to make sure you have correctly carried out all the steps.
- Post your sample as soon as possible.
- You will be notified as soon as your result is available in your secure patient area.
Should you need further help with collecting your sample, please contact The Doctors Laboratory on 0207 307 7373, or email email@example.com.
You can also contact our customer service team on 0207 043 0716, or contact us via your patient area.
How does it work?
The fertility tests use a finger lancet device in order to obtain a small sample of blood. Once you have collected your sample you return it to our partner lab in the prepaid envelope provided. Sample results are then uploaded to your secure patient area.
Who is your partner lab?
We work with TDL Pathology, a UK-based testing laboratory.
How will I be notified?
Once available, your test results will be accessed in your secure patient area. You will receive a text or an email to inform you once they are available.
Depending on your results our doctor may wish to contact you to discuss them.
How long does it take?
Turnaround for samples can take several hours. You should expect the whole process, from the time you order your test kit to finding out your result to take approximately under one week.
Will it hurt?
The finger lancet is not painful and should only cause the sensation of a small pinch.
What happens if my levels are sufficient?
All results are made available on the secure patient area.
What happens if my levels are abnormal?
One of our doctors may speak to you to offer advice on what to do next.
Getting a fertility test online
Buying a fertility test kit through our private online service is easy. Complete the order form and a test kit will be sent to you by tracked courier. Your kit contains everything you need to safely and easily take a small blood sample from a finger. Your sample is then posted in the provided envelope to our partner lab. Your test will then be processed and your results uploaded to your secure patient area.