Stomach Ulcer Test
The SELFCheck Stomach Ulcer Test can detect a type of bacteria called H. pylori, which can cause ulcers in the stomach and increase the risk of stomach cancer. The test uses a blood sample and produces a result at home.
Click below to buy your stomach ulcer test online from our UK pharmacy. All you need to do is complete an order form, and we’ll ship your test in secure packaging by next-day delivery.
The SELFCheck Stomach Ulcer Test is a blood sample screening kit you can use at home. It contains a small lancet, which enables you to take a finger prick sample from the end of the middle finger. The test can detect the presence of a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (or H. pylori), which can cause gastric infections and stomach ulcers. Infection with this bacteria also increases the chances of developing stomach cancer. The test produces a result in 10 minutes, and does not need to be looked at in a lab. The components in the kit allow you to get and read your result at home.
Stomach ulcers, also known as gastric or peptic ulcers, are sores that form on the surface of the stomach lining. They often cause discomfort and pain, but don’t always. Other signs of a stomach ulcer include feelings of indigestion, nausea and heartburn. When they become more serious, they can cause bloody vomiting, dark and sticky stools, and a sharp pain in the stomach. H.pylori isn’t the only cause of stomach ulcers, so if you have symptoms, it’s important to get advice from your doctor even if you use this test and it gives a negative result.
Stomach ulcers happen due to damage to the stomach lining by stomach acids, which the body uses to break down food. Normally, there is a layer on the stomach lining that protects tissue from acid; but under certain circumstances, this can become weakened, allowing stomach acid to penetrate. This is mostly caused by either: the use of a type of painkiller, called an NSAID; or a bacterial infection with H. pylori.
Stomach ulcers will normally need treatment. The medicine a doctor issues depends on what is causing it. Excess stomach acid can be reduced through a type of drug called a proton pump inhibitor. In some cases, this alone may be enough to permit the ulcer to heal on its own. If a bacterial infection is responsible, antibiotic treatment may be issued to help clear it up.
H. pylori used to be much more common. Many people may carry the bacteria and never develop any symptoms; it is transmitted through contaminated food and water, but is not harmful to everyone. In some though, it can lead to the development of stomach cancer. According to Cancer Research UK, roughly 40% of stomach cancer cases in Britain are thought to be the result of this bacteria.
However, in recent years, there has been some research to suggest that H. pylori lowers the risk of oesophegal cancer. Consequently, doctors will only tend to recommend treating the infection if symptoms are present.
You can now buy the stomach ulcer test kit online, using our secure ordering service. Complete our short form after placing your order, and your kit will be with you in one working day.
In this test kit, you will find the following:
- a test cassette in a sealed foil pouch
- a buffer bottle containing test solution
- a lancet
- a plaster
- and a set of instructions.
This kit contains enough components to perform a single test.
Please contact us if any of the above are missing when you receive your kit.
It’s crucial to read and closely follow the instructions in the leaflet provided. If there is anything you are not sure about when performing this test, please ask our doctor or pharmacist for guidance.
- Before you begin, ensure you have all the components required in the test kit ready, in addition to a watch or clock with a second hand, and a clean tissue.
- Carefully remove the test cassette from the wrapper, and place on a nearby flat surface.
- The recommended site to take a sample from is the tip of the middle finger.
- Wash your hands in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly.
- If you use an alcohol wipe to clean the finger you are taking a sample from, make sure your finger is completely dry before using the lancet.
- To prepare the lancet, first press down and twist the cap. You should hear a click.
- Then, rotate the cap without pressing it down to remove it.
- Press the end of the lancet against your middle finger firmly.
- Push down the lever on the lancet. You should feel a small pinch.
- Allow your arm to hang down to enable a droplet to form. It may be necessary to massage your finger to get blood flowing.
- Let a drop of blood fall onto the field marked ‘S1’ on the cassette.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- In the meantime, cover the tip of your lanced finger with the plaster.
- Take off the cap from the bottle containing the buffer solution, being careful not to spill any or allow any to come into contact with your skin.
- Place 9 drops of the buffer solution into the ‘S2’ field on the cassette.
- Affix the cap after you have finished and wait for 10 minutes.
- If you wait for a shorter or longer amount of time, your result may not be as reliable.
- You will then be able to view your result.
- There are two levels on the results field of the test cassette, marked ‘C’ and ‘T’.
- If a line appears at the ‘C’ level but not the ‘T’ level, the result is negative.
- A line at both the ‘C’ and ‘T’ levels (even if the line at the ‘T’ level is faint) indicates a positive result. If this occurs, you should see a doctor for advice and take with you the leaflet included with the test kit.
- If there is no line at either level, or a line at the ‘T’ level but no line at the ‘C’ level, the result is invalid. This may be due to the test being damaged before use, or a mistake when doing the test.
- Discard the test components after you have finished in regular household waste.
How does it work?
The test looks for antibodies to the H. pylori bacteria. This type of bacteria is one of the main causes of a stomach ulcer.
Does it need to go to the lab?
No. The test can be done at home, and the result is displayed on the cassette provided.
How long does it take?
It takes 10 minutes for the result to be displayed.
What kind of sample do I have to give for this test?
A finger prick blood sample. You can draw this using the lancet provided with the kit.
What happens if I’m negative?
If your symptoms persist, you should see your doctor. There may be another cause that your doctor needs to test for.
What happens if I’m positive?
You should approach your doctor with the leaflet included in the test and inform them. They may decide to issue treatment, or perform further tests to confirm a diagnosis.
How accurate is it?
The test was accurate in detecting 118 positive cases of H. pylori in 132 people diagnosed with the infection.
Who should get tested?
If you have any of the symptoms of a stomach ulcer, such as abdominal pain, heartburn or feelings of nausea, this test can help you to determine whether you might have a bacterial infection; and whether you may need to see a doctor about further testing or treatment.
Click below to buy the stomach ulcer test online. You’ll be asked to fill in our short order form. Once your kit has been dispatched from our UK pharmacy, you should receive it in one working day.
Consultation. Prescription. Delivery. Satisfaction.
- GMC Doctors
- Genuine Medication
- 24hr Delivery
- Secure Payment & Data
- Registered Pharmacy
- Easy Repeat Orders
We promise to keep your details secure and private. We will never sell your information or share it with third parties. Whatever treatment you buy online from us, we will send in plain, unmarked packaging via our secure courier service.
Delivery on all items is included in the price. After your order has been dispatched, you’ll be supplied with a tracking number, allowing you to follow the progress of your items every step of the way. We deliver to anywhere in the UK, so whether you’re in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow or Cardiff, your order will be at your door within just 24 hours of approval from our doctor.
Search for your medicineFind the treatment you need.
Fill in a simple questionnaireA GMC-registered doctor will review your answers.
24h delivery to your doorNext-day delivery. Every order is sent by tracked courier.
Repeat ordering is easyWe keep your details secure so you can reorder with ease.