Flixotide is a medication used in asthma, known as a preventer. It is taken every day and works to reduce inflammation and swelling.
If you require asthma treatment, please arrange an appointment with your doctor. It is not possible to purchase this product from our online pharmacy.
Flixotide is a preventer treatment for asthma, which is made by Allen and Hanburys. It works by reducing inflammation in the affected parts of the respiratory system; thereby making a flare-up of symptoms, also known as an asthma attack, less likely. The main ingredient, fluticasone, is dispensed into the body through the means of a device. This is supplied in two forms; as an evohaler, which is similar to a traditional inhaler; or an accuhaler. A typical dose is one or two puffs, taken twice per day. How much you use will be determined by the severity of your condition.
- Effective preventer
- Branded product
- Can be used in two forms
Asthma is an illness which around 5 million people in the UK have in common. Symptoms include coughing, wheezing, and breathlessness. It is not really known what causes asthma, but a number of contributing factors have been identified. Many experts point to the overactivity of the immune system as a principal cause. People who have asthma may have an increased sensitivity to airborne irritants, resulting in a drastic immune response, causing inflammation.
Episodes may be triggered by certain elements, such as the presence of allergens in the air, cold air, smoke, or dust or chemical particles. Physical exertion can also initiate symptoms. Those who have a family history of the condition are thought to be more at risk of developing asthma.
Treatment for asthma is issued in two forms, although some people may not need both. Reliever medications are so called because they are applied on-demand to ease symptoms when they occur, by opening the airways and facilitating breathing; whereas preventer treatments are applied on a regular basis, and reduce the likelihood of an attack taking place by alleviating inflammation in the bronchi. Fluticasone, a type of corticosteroid, does this by inhibiting the release of chemicals the immune system generates in response to irritants.
Flixotide treatment is not available to buy from our UK pharmacy. If you have asthma symptoms or require a repeat prescription contact your doctor’s practice.
Always take Flixotide as directed by your prescriber, and read the instructions carefully prior to use. Doing so will help to reduce the likelihood of side effects and increase the efficiency of the treatment.
- Take as directed.
- For the prevention of asthma in adults, the specific dose will depend on the severity of symptoms.
- Mild asthma may require a dose of 100 micrograms, twice a day.
- Moderate to severe cases may necessitate 250-500 micrograms twice a day.
- Your dose should not exceed two daily doses of 1000 micrograms.
- Those who have taken high doses for a long duration should not stop taking Flixotide suddenly, or without first consulting their doctor.
For Flixotide Evohaler:
- Shake before use and remove the cover.
- Test the device by firing one or two test shots safely into the air.
- Slow your breathing down to a calm level, and sit or stand in an upright position.
- Exhale as far as is comfortable.
- Place the end of the evohaler between your lips.
- Breathe in and press down on the canister at the same time.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
- If you are administering multiple puffs, wait for one minute before repeating the above process.
For Flixotide Accuhaler:
- Open the casing by pushing back the thumb grip until it clicks, exposing a hole.
- Hold the accuhaler with the hole pointing towards you.
- Push back the lever until you hear a click.
- Breathe out as far as is comfortable.
- Put the accuhaler to your mouth, and inhale.
- Hold your breath for around 10 seconds.
- Close and reset by holding the device and pulling the thumb grip towards you. It will then be prepared for your next dose.
For both devices:
- Clean the mouthpiece by wiping with a dry tissue.
- Do not take more than your doctor has instructed.
- If you miss a dose, do not compensate with a double dose. Continue your course as normal.
These guidelines are only a summary. Please refer to the detailed instructions provided in the leaflet before use.
Despite the fact that not everyone will experience side effects when using this product, it is still important to be aware of their nature, so that you can seek medical attention if you become concerned. If you get any side effects which may be indicative of an allergic reaction, or if your symptoms get worse after using your inhaler, contact your doctor immediately.
Very common (1 in 10 people in more):
Common (1 in 10 people or less):
Soreness in the tongue or throat, or hoarseness.
You can reduce the likelihood of the above side effects by rinsing your mouth or gargling water after administering an inhalation.
Rare (1 in 1,000 people or less):
Very rare (1 in 10,000 people or less):
Insomnia, anxiety, joint pain, indigestion, or rise in level of blood sugar.
The above is only a summary of the side effects associated with this drug. Contained in the patient information leaflet is a more comprehensive index.
Taking it with other medicines
Flixotide may interact with the following: antivirals called protease inhibitors, such as ritonavir; or antifungals like ketoconazole. Let your doctor know if you are using these or any other non-prescription, prescription or remedial items during consultation.
Conditions to look out for
It is not known to aggravate any existing conditions, but you should still inform your doctor of your medical history prior to use.
Can I still drink alcohol?
Yes. Alcohol will not influence the efficacy of this inhaler.
Will I still be able to drive?
Yes. It is not likely to affect your driving ability. But, if you happen to notice any side effects which could make driving unsafe, avoid driving and contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Can I use this medicine while pregnant?
It may not be suitable for you if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Check with your doctor prior to use.
How do I store it?
Keep in a safe environment below 30°C. Ensure canisters are stored away from sharp objects which could pierce them.
Am I allergic to anything in the medicine?
Contained in the accuhaler are fluticasone propionate and lactose. In the evohaler are fluticasone propionate and HFA 134a. Do not use these products if you are allergic to any containing ingredients.
Is it available over-the-counter?
No. You will need a prescription from your doctor before you can buy Flixotide in the UK.
Is it right for me?
Speak to your GP or respiratory nurse if you have asthma and would like to know more about the medication options available. They will be able to help you decide on a suitable inhaler and start a prescription. You cannot purchase this medication from our pharmacy service.
Search for your medicineFind the treatment you need.
Fill in a simple questionnaireA GMC-registered doctor or a pharmacy prescriber will review your answers.
24h delivery to your doorNext-day delivery. Every order is sent by tracked courier.
Repeat ordering is easyWe keep your details secure so you can reorder with ease.