Menopause SELFCheck Test
The SELFCheck Menopause Test is a urine screening kit, and can help someone to know whether they have had their last period (or is postmenopausal).
Click below to be taken to our order form, and buy your menopause test kit online from our UK pharmacy. We ship all kits by next-day delivery, in confidential packaging.
The SELFCheck Menopause Test uses a urine sample to tell whether someone may be postmenopausal (have had their last period). It doesn’t need to go to a lab for analysis. It can be undertaken at home, and displays a result in 10 minutes. The kit contains enough components to be able to perform two tests. The second test should be done a week after the first in the event this is positive.
The menopause is a natural part of the ageing process. The majority of women will experience it between the ages of 45 and 55, with the average age of onset at 51. In rare cases, it can occur at a younger age; when it does, this is known as premature menopause.
During the menopause, levels of oestrogen in the body will begin to fall. Menstruation will become less regular, before coming to an end altogether. During the menopause when these changes are taking place, this phase is known as perimenopause. When someone stops having periods, they are considered postmenopausal.
When hormone levels start to fluctuate during the menopause, various symptoms can occur. These can include hot flushes in the face and chest, mood swings, increased sweating, difficulty sleeping, and loss of sex drive. The severity of these symptoms can vary from one person to the next. Hormone replacement therapy, or HRT, can help to alleviate these. This works by supplementing hormone levels in the body, and reducing the symptoms that result from a drop in these hormones.
Women who are postmenopausal are also at increased risk of osteoporosis, where the bones become weaker and more brittle. HRT can help to reduce the development of this condition.
There are different types of hormone replacement therapy: combined and single. Combined contains two types of hormone, oestrogen and progesterone; whereas single contains just oestrogen. Oestrogen-only tends to be offered to women who have had a hysterectomy, while combined is indicated in women who have not had this procedure.
Combined HRT is also offered as both sequential and continuous treatment. Sequential contains varying amounts of hormones throughout the month, while someone on continuous therapy remains on a more constant dose. Sequential therapy is used during perimenopause, while continuous is offered to women who are postmenopausal, and have not had a period for at least 12 months.
Not all women going through the menopause will need treatment, and some women who experience symptoms may prefer not to use it at all. When you first begin to develop menopausal symptoms, such as changes in bleeding and periods, it’s best to speak to a doctor so that they can go through the different options with you.
The SELFCheck Menopause Test can help you to know whether or not you have had your last natural period. To buy this menopause test online, click below to order. You’ll be asked to complete a short form, and your kit will be shipped to you by next-day parcel.
Supplied in this kit are the following:
- a set of instructions
- and two test cassettes, individually wrapped.
In addition to the test kit, we will also supply two containers for urine collection in your parcel.
The above is enough to carry out two tests.
If any of the above are missing when you receive your kit, please contact us to let us know.
It is important to read and follow the instructions carefully when performing your test. Please ask our pharmacist or doctor for further advice if you are unsure of anything to do with this test.
- The best time to take the test is first thing in the morning.
- Make sure you have a watch or a clock ready.
- Collect a urine sample in the container.
- Open one of the test strips, taking care to use the notch and not damage the strip contained inside. Place the foil wrapper to one side on a flat surface.
- You should see the ‘touching zone’ and ‘dipping zone’ clearly marked on the strip, along with the result field. You must only touch the strip by the ‘touching zone’.
- Lower the ‘dipping zone’ section of the test strip into the sample, not allowing the sample to go above this.
- Hold the strip in the sample for three seconds.
- Pull the strip out and place it on the foil wrapper.
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Your result will then be viewable. You will see two lines in the results field. Hold the strip as shown in the diagram.
- Your result is positive (postmenopausal) if two purple lines appear in the result field, and the lower of these is darker or the same shade as the upper line.
- The result is negative if the lower line is lighter than the upper line, or if only the upper line appears.
- If your result is positive, you should perform the second test to confirm your result one week after conducting the first test.
- If only the lower line appears, or no line at all appears, the result is invalid. Refer to the leaflet for further instructions on what to do if this occurs.
- Please note that if you view your result after 15 minutes, you may not be able to interpret it properly.
- Make sure you dispose of the components in household waste after completing the test, and wash your hands. Your urine sample should be disposed of in the toilet.
How does it work?
The test works by screening for the presence of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) in the urine. The strip contains antibodies and changes colour based on the detection of FSH.
Does it need to go to the lab?
No. The test can be performed at home, and you’ll get your result on the test cassette.
How long does it take?
It takes 10 minutes for the result to display. Combined with the time it takes to collect your sample, it should only take around 15 minutes to perform overall.
What kind of sample do I have to give for this test?
A urine sample. You should do this first thing in the morning, as this is when FSH levels tend to be highest.
What happens if I’m negative?
Carry on your treatment plan as normal, and continue to be monitored by your doctor.
What happens if I’m positive?
There are two test cassettes in the kit. If you test positive, wait for one week and perform the second test.
If both results are positive, speak to your doctor. They may need to adjust your treatment regime. For example, if you are taking sequential treatment, it may be necessary for you to move onto continuous therapy.
How accurate is the menopause test?
A study was conducted involving 65 participants, which found this test correctly identified positives (diagnostic sensitivity) in 97.14% of cases, and correctly identified negatives (diagnostic specificity) in 93.33% of cases.
Who should get tested?
If you haven’t had a period for some time and want to confirm that you are now postmenopausal, this test can provide a good indicator, and inform whether you need to see a doctor for further advice.
To get your SELFCheck Menopause Test from our UK pharmacy, click below to order and fill in our short form. Tests are sent by tracked, next-day parcel in confidential packaging.
Consultation. Prescription. Delivery. Satisfaction.
- GMC Doctors
- Genuine Medication
- 24hr Delivery
- Secure Payment & Data
- Registered Pharmacy
- Easy Repeat Orders
We promise to keep your details secure and private. We will never sell your information or share it with third parties. Whatever treatment you buy online from us, we will send in plain, unmarked packaging via our secure courier service.
Delivery on all items is included in the price. After your order has been dispatched, you’ll be supplied with a tracking number, allowing you to follow the progress of your items every step of the way. We deliver to anywhere in the UK, so whether you’re in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow or Cardiff, your order will be at your door within just 24 hours of approval from our doctor.
Search for your medicineFind the treatment you need.
Fill in a simple questionnaireA GMC-registered doctor will review your answers.
24h delivery to your doorNext-day delivery. Every order is sent by tracked courier.
Repeat ordering is easyWe keep your details secure so you can reorder with ease.