The male fertility test looks at several hormonal markers to get a picture of male health including fertility. Hormones play an important role in many natural bodily functions including the reproductive process.
Why would I want to check my fertility?
You may wish to take a male hormone profile test to get an insight into your reproductive health. This could be particularly important if you are thinking about starting a family in the future.
This home test kit checks six important hormonal markers when it comes to fertility and male health.
If you have concerns about your fertility, you should see your GP.
What does the test look for?
Our well-man test looks at six different hormonal markers to see if they are within the expected range.
FSH - follicle stimulating hormone. In men this hormone stimulates testicular growth and helps to produce sperm. FSH results that are below the expected limit may be linked to a low number of sperm being produced.
LH - luteinizing hormone. This hormone is linked to the production of testosterone which in turn stimulates sperm production in the testes.
Testosterone is the main sex hormone in men and is produced in the testes. A low testosterone level is known as hypogonadism and can lead to a range of symptoms including low libido or poor muscle mass.
Free androgen index. This is a ratio used, alongside other hormonal markers, to identify abnormal androgen status in men.
Prolactin. High levels of this hormone can be linked to infertility in men.
SHBG - sex hormone-binding globulin. This protein is produced in the liver and binds certain sex hormones and delivers them through the bloodstream. SHBG levels can change depending on your age. Abnormal levels can cause numerous symptoms, some of which can interfere with fertility.
How can I order a male fertility test online?
If you wish to take a test to check your fertility status, you can buy our male hormone profile above. Complete the order form and your test kit will be sent to you via next-day courier. The test requires a small sample of blood taken via a finger lancet and the sample is posted to our partner lab. Results are then made available in your online patient area.
Each test kit contains:
- a set of instructions
- a request form
- a name label
- a prepaid envelope
- a moist wipe
- a security label
- two plasters
- a blood collection tube
- one protective packing wallet
- an alcotip swab (with a spare)
- and one lancet (with two spares).
If you receive your test kit and an item is missing, please contact our customer care team on email@example.com or 0207 043 0716.
Please follow the instructions closely. Doing so will make sure you collect a sufficient sample of blood for testing.
- Fill out your details on the request form and name label. Do not stick the label to the blood collection tube until after you have collected your sample.
- Remove the cap from the blood collection tube, and put the tube in an upright position, as shown in the protective wallet.
- Wash your hands in warm soapy water.
- Use a single alcotip swab and clean the side of the finger you wish to collect your sample from. The little finger on your less dominant hand is usually recommended.
- Take a lancet and remove the end by twisting the tip.
- Whilst standing up, position the lancet against the side of your clean finger and press it firmly. You should feel a small pinch and a blood drop should form.
- Wipe away the first drop of blood with a clean tissue.
- Position your finger over the collection tube and massage it so that the blood starts to drip into the tube.
- You should continue collecting your blood sample until you fill the tube to the upper line.
- If you struggle to fill the tube you can wipe the puncture site with a clean tissue, and wait for ten seconds before trying again. There is also an extra lancet in your kit if you need to try getting blood from another finger.
- Once your collection pot is filled to the top line, stop any bleeding by using a spot plaster and put the cap on the pot. You should hear an audible click that indicates that the pot has been secured.
- With the cap on the tube, invert it several times (5-10 times).
- Attach your name label to the tube, as shown in the instructions.
- Place the tube in the provided protective packing wallet.
- Place any used lancets and the protective wallet containing your blood sample into the self-addressed, prepaid mailer.
- Use the checklist to make sure you have carried out all the steps before you seal the package.
- Post your sample as soon as you are able to.
- You will be notified as soon as your result is available in your secure patient area.
If you require any help or assistance with regard to collecting your sample, please contact The Doctors Laboratory on 0207 307 7373, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, please call our customer service team on 0207 043 0716, or contact us via your patient area.
How does it work?
The hormone profile requires a sample of blood which is taken via a finger lancet device, provided with your kit. Your sample is posted to our partner lab for analysis. Once processed your results will be uploaded to your secure patient area.
Who is your partner lab?
Our service has teamed up with TDL Pathology, an independent testing laboratory based in the UK.
How will I be notified of my results?
When your result is ready, you will receive a notification via text message or email. This will tell you that you can access your results in your patient area.
How long does it take?
Collecting the sample of blood is quick and easy. Once our partner lab receives your sample it can take several hours to perform the tests. We advise our patients that it can take up to one week from the day you order your test kit.
Will it hurt?
Collecting your sample with the finger lancet device should not hurt.
What happens if my levels are abnormal?
Your results will be made available in your patient area. One of our GMC-registered doctors may give advice on the next steps you should take.
Getting a male fertility test online
You can buy your private male fertility test through our online testing centre. Once you place your order for your test kit it will be dispatched by tracked courier. You should receive your item within one working day. The kit contains everything you need in order to collect a small sample of blood and securely return it to our partner lab for testing. Once the tests are completed and reviewed by a doctor, the results are uploaded to your patient area.